Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Broken Leg

Everyone has been asking how I broke my leg, so instead of making an extremely long facebook post, I decided I would just blog about it.  It took me a while to remember my password since it has been forever since I've blogged.

Saturday morning, the girls and I were heading down the stairs to go eat breakfast at the motel in Oklahoma City.  On the 3rd from the bottom step, a piece of metal was sticking up on the step.  I hung my right foot on the piece of metal and fell.  My left foot hung between the steps and turned and twisted.  I heard it pop and knew immediately it was broke.  Haley went upstairs to get Robby and Joseph...I have thanked God everyday that Joseph and Karly went with us.  Robby and Joseph carried me to the car and the girls stayed with Joseph and Karly.  They were very upset. 

We went to Baptist Integris...because I knew where that hospital was. The doctors and nursing staff there was wonderful and extremely helpful.  I wasn't there 5 minutes and the doctor and x-ray were already in there.  I fractured both the tibia and the fibia with spiral fractures.  They splinted it, said I would need surgery end of the week or the first of next week after the swelling has gone down.  Made a disc of the films and gave me plenty of pain meds.  Robby and I headed home. 

By the time we got back home, Robby had already called Dr. Darter, he had called Dr. Bjork and they were waiting on us to get home to see the x-rays.  Dr. Bjork  called Robby on Sunday and told him he wanted a CT of my leg so he can see it better.  We had the CT done on Monday morning, Dr. Bjork's office called that afternoon to go see him the next day.  We made the trip to Amarillo on Tuesday, he loosened the cotton on my splint, changed my pain meds and wanted to talk to Dr. Risko before he scheduled my surgery because he said Risko is the expert for what is wrong with me.  They called this afternoon and surgery will be next Tuesday at 9:30.  I honestly can't wait!

The hotel is being very cooperative with taking responsibility for the fall.  That they were neglectful for not fixing the step. 

I am very thankful for Joseph and Karly for keeping our girls and taking them to the zoo and clothes shopping.  For Dr. Bryan and the staff at Integris for not making me lay there in pain for hours on end.  For Dr. Darter and Dr. Bjork for making the weekend personal cell phone calls for me, because they did not have to.  For Robby for taking most excellent care of me...because I literally can't even hardly go to the bathroom by myself.  For all the prayers, calls, texts and facebook messages I have received...they have really helped my mood.  Most importantly I thank God that it was me who fell, and not one of my children who were right in front of me and for not letting it be any worse than what it is.  I still don't know why I had to fall, but I know God has a reason for it and one day, I will know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment