Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Charleston Bending Brace

The time has finally arrived.  I have been waiting for and dreading this moment for the past 5 years.  I knew it was coming since I first realized Haley's back was crooked when she was 5.  Her curve has been basically holding at around 18 degrees since since we first found it.  At our last appointment in January, Dr. Johnston at TSRH said we should probably come in in 6 months instead of 9 since she is fixing to start her growth spurt.  I am glad we did!  In 6 months we went from 18 degrees to 24 degrees...if you are having a hard time with the math, that is 1 degree a month...which is significant.  With her type of curve...left "C" curve in her lumbar area...he believes all she needs is the Charleston Bending Brace which is only worn at night.  It will basically make her spine bend to the right, almost straight.  This will be very uncomfortable for her to sleep in, but she will get used to it.  I just told her hey, we start this now, you just have to wear it at night, and not all day like I had to.  Plus, it is going to be HOT PINK CAMO when mine was just plain old white.  This made her feel better, but she still said "I'm never spending the night at anyone's house again!"  She will, and with a little time she will be able to sleep just fine with it.  We go down on July 26 for fitting and to pick it up.  That weekend we will probably do whatever Haley wants to do.  She is a sweety and a fighter and this is just one battle in her life that she will overcome.

This is a picture of a Charleston Bending Brace I found on the internet.  When we get hers, I'll post some pictures of it.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry that she has to go through this, but isn't it amazing that she can be helped!! I had a friend growing up who had to wear the brace with the thing around her neck. She had to wear it all day long. She was a flag girl and then a drum major and didn't let it stop her. Haley can do this. Let her have a great treat!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh man.... that stinks but thank goodness you caught it soon... I'm with Stephanie - thank goodness that she can be helped!!!

    ReplyDelete